Our experienced M&A team counsels clients through acquisitions, dispositions and recapitalizations of their businesses and those of their targets. We focus on constructive and creative solutions and a multi-disciplinary approach, to achieve our clients’ objectives and deliver long-term value.
Our clients partner with our firm in connection with critical transactions because they understand that we are focused on developing constructive solutions and offering practical advice with the goal of arriving at closing. Although each transaction is different, our attorneys combine deft legal analysis and judgment with practical business experience, bringing vision and common sense to partner with businesses to achieve their objectives.
Whether we are assisting a client who has built his or her business from the ground up find an opportunity to exit, or facilitating the acquisition of a new portfolio company for an investment fund, we begin by seeking to understand the business, its financial statements and key components of the transaction. Our efficient teams have a depth of knowledge in the M&A field, and we can leverage highly specialized advisors in the fields of tax, accounting, finance, benefits, regulatory compliance, environmental and employment services to resolve outstanding issues. As part of our collaborative, multi-disciplinary approach, we also work closely with our clients’ other business advisors to deliver value and efficiency for our clients.
We add value for our clients by quickly focusing on the meaningful issues in a business transaction and efficiently leading the parties through the structuring, negotiation, documentation, and successful closing of each deal. Our proven approach consistently results in the successful closing of transactions on our client’s desired timetable.
Health Care Mergers & Acquisitions
The Winthrop team is expert at negotiating the change of ownership process associated with heavily regulated healthcare transactions. We represent owners, operators, managers, and developers in all regulatory aspects of healthcare transactions, serving as primary regulatory counsel in complex transactions.
We represent clients in change of ownership matters involving asset and stock transactions, mergers, restructurings, and other organizational changes. We represent providers across the healthcare industry, including behavioral health providers, mental health providers, assisted living facilities, home health agencies, pharmacies, laboratories, physician groups, and more.
We also provide counsel to private equity investors, REITs, and developers to proactively address regulatory issues to expedite closings, minimize cashflow disruption, and facilitating the overall process. We help clients obtain certificates of need, necessary licensure, Medicare and Medicaid certification, and enrollment and credentialing with healthcare plans. We perform all regulatory due diligence; counsel on CARES Act provider relief funding; review, revise, and negotiate operations transfer agreements (OTAs), and all other transaction documents; and Medicare and Medicaid post-closing regulatory filings to ensure compliance with federal and state law. Our experience in all aspects of this industry helps facilitate a smooth transaction from start to finish.
- Sale of an interventional pain management practice from original owner to new physician owner
- Sale of a compounding pharmacy business to a private equity group
- Sale of an in-office, virtual and in-home counselling and mental health services company to large national mental health provider
- Representation of private equity group in acquisition of a comprehensive behavioral health provider with operations in 16 states
- Sale of regional behavioral health provider to large national behavioral health provider
- Acquisition of five residential substance abuse treatment centers in West Virginia by private equity group
- Acquisition of infectious disease provider group in Florida by management services organization backed by private equity group
- Sale of a medical device company specializing in hearing-related products to a competitor
- Sale of a drugs of abuse testing lab and manufacturer to a strategic buyer
- Sale of pediatric dental clinics in an acquisition by a national dental services organization
- Sale of a Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics and Supplies supplier to a strategy buyer
- Sale of a home care agency to a large national provider
- Sale of a portfolio of assisted living and skilled nursing facilities with complicated state and federal regulatory compliance matters amongst the non-profit seller and buyer entities